Friday, April 26, 2013

Blue Poppy Review

Blue Poppy in Gorkha Bhawan is officially my favorite restaurant in Kolkata. Being an avid fan of Chinese food, particularly Indo-Chinese or Nepali-Chinese, this has to be number one in my list. I have been here on three occasions- two being my birthday treats to different friends and one being a friend's treat. It's the ideal place to treat a large group of friends, especially if the friends are massive foodies like you because:
1. The food is finger-licking good.
2. The rates are dirt cheap.
3. The quantity per serving is large.
If ambiance is an integral part of dining out for you, never go here. The diner looks like seedy college canteen, though cleanliness is maintained and the service is not really up to the mark. But if all you want is hygienic, delectable dishes to chew on, then this is the place to be.

Zomato gives it 4 stars, and so do I. It is easily accessible, situated just opposite City Center 1 and run by some Nepalis from North Bengal. Its main branch is on Park Street and is run by Sikkimese individuals.
Pork Shapta

From personal experience, I would highly recommend the Chicken Kothay (which is steamed chicken momo fried at the base), Mixed Cantonese Noodles and Pork Shapta. The soups, main chicken dishes and fried rice are scrumptious too, I've heard. Even if you would order something else other than the mentioned, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed since the food in general is extremely palatable. But do stay away from the Bhutanese dishes since one has to have an acquired taste for them.

Chicken Kothay

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shreya!u are so correct about this place. the food is amazing and it is so so cheap. i had pan fried pork momo and some soup(forgot the name). totally loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momos r better than Sikkim, huh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hie, I am Sachiko Seth, the junior partner of The Blue Poppy, our family is from kalimpong and we are Tibetan. My aunt looks after the Middleton outlet n we after the salt lake and sector five ones. We r all d same family. :) n thank you soon much for making The Blue poppy ur favorite restaurant. It is for customers like you that we want to do better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sorry for passing on wrong info about ur origin. I just wrote what I heard from someone. Excellent food though. I've recommended to all my friends in kolkata. :)

      Delete